Monday, October 10, 2011

A Vintage Halloween...

My favorite time of year is fast approaching!! I love the witchy ways of Halloween... dressing up as an altered ego, the parties, being scared out of my skin and of course all the yummy treats!   
Photo credit here

Having grown up in an era of home made, our costumes were thrifty, fun and very creative. I remember my dad reaching into the fireplace and taking a had full of soot and proceeded to wipe it on my face!! Next my plaid dress was stuffed with a pillow, he tightening up my belt, tied a scarf on my head and sent me out the door... as Aunt Jemima!! I laugh about it now but as a little girl I was the grumpiest pancake you'd ever seen!

Photo credit here

Now that I have a daughter of my own I admit I have fallen prey to easy street. Last year while in a box store my daughter spotted the costume section. Much to my dismay we headed over for a look. Guess what! She fell in love... not a witch or a princess as most 3 year olds would... no my girl picked the ugliest beige, gold, brown and orange Octopus I have ever seen! Unique it certainly was, just like my girl ;) For me it was easy on the pocket book, took no time at all and best of all it made us both giggle.  

Photo credit here

That was last year. This year we'll be making a costume and have fun doing it! Yes I know buying one is easy but I fear my daughter won't have the same kind of long lasting memories and embarrassing moments as I did. This year she wants to be a scary witch so along with repurposing some clothing, making a hat, embellishing her to the 9's, I've decided to pass down the tradition and will be wiping her face with soot! Thanks for the crafty idea Dad!

Photo credit here

Between getting costumes ready, making decorations, prepping the house and deciding on tricks or treats to hand out it will be a busy month end for everyone. Here's a few reminders of the fun we had as kids... carving pumpkins, embarrassing costumes, great parties and of course all the sexy moms! Enjoy!

Photo credit here

Recycling @ its finest! Photo credit here

Photo credit here
  
Photo credit here

Photo credit here
 
Photo credit here
 
Photo credit here
 
Photo credit here
   
Photo credit here

Photo credit here

Photo credit here

Photo credit here

Photo Credit here

Photo credit here

Halloween preparations to take care of I must be off!
Photo credit here

Stay tuned for Friday's Victorian Halloween Post! For a sneak peek and a look at my inspiration boards come follow me on Pinterest! If you're not a member yet send me an email and I'll be sure to invite you to the fun!

Have an amazing Holiday Monday!
XOXO
Dawna
Creative Curator

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! Never heard of Pinterest before now, I'd like to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great way to create vision boards, share your ideas and give credit where do. Let me know if you want an invite Shay!

    ReplyDelete